martedì 24 febbraio 2009

My Bassano del Grappa

I was not born here, but I have lived here since 1990. I don't know if that makes me an honorary citizen yet, but I love my town. I will be here to tell you what it's like to live the true Bassano del Grappa experience.

The first thing you have to know about is the "Ponte Vecchio" the old covered bridge designed by Andrea Palladio back in 1569; it's been rebuilt dozens of times. This bridge is the symbol of the town and it's pulsing heart.

The second thing you need to know is Nardini. Nardini is the oldest grappa maker in the world, dating from 1779, and the old "grapperia" on the bridge is the traditional meeting point for all Bassanese.

1 commento:

  1. I nearly ended up in Bassano back in 1989 when I spent a year in Italy as a language assistant. I was originally posted there but a late switch sent me to Borgo San Lorenzo near Florence instead.

    I often wonder how my life might have ended up if I had gone there. Certainly my love of the town's most famous beverage could only have been increased.

    RispondiElimina